New for 2012
- Standard 300-horsepower (224 kW) 3.6L V-6 DOHC SIDI engine with variable valve timing and E85 FlexFuel capability (all models), with EPA-estimated 30 mpg highway
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Dual exhaust (all models)
- Front grille
- Black on LS
- Silver on LT and LTZ
- Rear-end appearance with dual exhaust outlets, standard on all models
- Sixteen-inch, five-spoke cast aluminum wheels in Silver Sparkle paint, standard on LS
- Leather shift knob standard on LT and LTZ
- Interior woodgrain trim and two-tone Neutral interior
- Front and rear carpeted floor mats, Bluetooth for select phones and leather-wrapped steering wheel with mounted audio controls standard on LS
- Flip-and-fold rear seats and rear spoiler standard on LT
- Exterior colors: Black Granite Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat (additional charge)
- Rear decklid molding
- Standard rear spoiler on LT model
The Chevrolet Impala is designed to provide big-car roominess, safety and comfort with the fuel economy of a smaller midsize car. Impala, the top-selling large sedan in the U.S., moves ahead for 2012 with an all-new, 300-horsepower (224 kW) 3.6L V-6 engine and six-speed transmission that deliver an EPA-estimated 30 mpg highway. The Impala also is E85 FlexFuel-capable.
The Impala seats up to six with the optional front bench seat. Besides the new, efficient engine and transmission, interior and exterior enhancements include a redesigned front grille, two-tone interior and woodgrain trim, three new colors and new wheels. Impala is the segment’s only large sedan that offers the safety, security and connectivity of OnStar, including six months of Directions and Connections service. By downloading a free MyChevrolet app, owners can control the Impala from their smart phones.
- Three well-equipped models – LS, LT and LTZ – offer trim level-specific features.
- Interior and exterior convey sophistication, big-sedan roominess and quality.
- New exterior features include an updated black grille on LS; and a silver grille on LT and LTZ. A new, standard rear-end appearance complements the updated grilles. It includes rear decklid molding and dual exhaust outlets.
- Family-friendly features such as flip-and-fold rear seats with armrests (standard on LTZ and LT) reveal a storage tub under the seat when the cushions are flipped forward, for stashing items. A generous pass-through from the trunk can be created by flipping the seat bottoms forward and the seat backs flat – an exclusive, and handy, feature.
- New colors: Black Granite Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat (additional charge).
Impala interior – standard and available features
- A two-tone Neutral interior and woodgrain trim add sophistication to the cabin. A leather steering wheel is standard on all models, and a leather shift knob is standard on LT and LTZ.
- Two audio systems with simple controls include standard SiriusXM Satellite Radio for three months. The base MP3/CD radio includes a six-speaker system, a two-line, 32-character reconfigurable display and the capability to select between AM, FM and SiriusXM stations without having to reset the frequency. The premium Bose eight-speaker audio system is standard on LTZ. All radios include a standard auxiliary input jack for portable devices such as an iPod.
- Bluetooth connectivity for selected, compatible phones keeps drivers’ eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
- Driver comfort comes from a six-way power seat on LS and LT. LTZ includes heated, six-way power seats for the driver and front passenger with leather accents.
- Dual-zone climate control on LTZ and LT, with up to 12 degrees F temperature setting difference between the two front zones, provides customized comfort.
Proven and efficient powertrain
An all-new 3.6L V-6 DOHC direct injection engine with variable valve timing and E85
FlexFuel capability is standard on all Impala models. It is the same engine that powers the 2012 Camaro 2LS model. Although it provides 300 horsepower (224 kW) in the Impala, it delivers an EPA-estimated 30 mpg highway. A six-speed automatic transmission replaces the previous model year’s four-speed gearbox for even more efficiency. Key engine features include:
- Engineers removed nearly 20 pounds from the engine while retaining strength and durability, for improved efficiency and driving dynamics.
- New cylinder heads bring a revised intake port design that enhances airflow to the combustion chambers for greater efficiency.
- The 3.6L V-6 uses a new fuel pump for the direct injection system, along with a new, isolated fuel rail. The new fuel pump is quieter, while the isolated fuel rail further reduces fuel system noise.
- The engine was redesigned with additional support ribs on the backside and an additional fastener to lessen noise and vibration. Inside the engine, the powdered metal connecting rods use a higher ratio of copper, which makes them stronger and lighter. Also, the camshafts feature new saddle-type caps for improved durability.
Chassis and suspension
The Impala chassis and suspension systems are tuned to provide refined ride and handling. The FE1/FE2 suspensions are standard on LS and LT models. The FE3 suspension is standard on LTZ.
- Robust front-end structure provides a firm foundation to help reduce noise, vibration and ride harshness.
- Fully boxed upper frame rail assembles have a wider, deeper and structurally stronger upper front tie bar. Stronger ties between the upper and lower rails stiffen the front structure for improved ride and handling.
- The lower front-of-dash panel is made of QuietSteel laminated steel, which consists of sound-deadening material bonded between sheets of steel.
- Quiet, efficient rack-and-pinion steering features improved fluid flow between the pump and the reservoirs.
- Front suspension features a MacPherson strut-over-coil independent setup with gas-charged struts and a stabilizer bar. The rear suspension uses a trailing arm, tri-link setup with gas-charged struts and coil springs. A rear stabilizer bar is standard on all models.
- Impala provides a family of 16- and 17-inch wheels and tires. Impala LTZ is equipped with 18-inch wheels and tires.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The Impala provides the outstanding safety performance expected of a family sedan. The 2011 model achieved the federal government’s top frontal crash test ratings of five stars. Impala is the only large sedan that includes OnStar, which can automatically send emergency help to a crash.
- Six standard air bags include side curtain air bags, which provide head protection for outboard passengers in the event of a side-impact or rollover crash.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both.
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Improved steering control while braking due to standard anti-lock brakes. The system also includes Electronic Brake Force Distribution, which helps provide optimum braking regardless of load, traction or braking speed.
- Stable acceleration under various road conditions due to standard traction control system working with the ABS system.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, included in all second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models.
- Standard remote keyless entry (RKE) system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.
- Enhanced structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
Impala is the only model in the segment to provide OnStar, which uses GPS and cellular technology to automatically call for help in the event of moderate to severe crash, provide route guidance or remote vehicle diagnostics. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- Services include Stolen Vehicle Location and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown that help recover vehicles and prevent potentially dangerous car chases involving stolen vehicles.
- Six months of free OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance. The feature is easy to use because an advisor sends all directions to the car, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
Pictures, Images, Photos, Pics, taken from Chevrolet Press Release.