With EPA-estimated highway fuel economy of 35 mpg (manual-transmission models), the Chevrolet Aveo is great at squeezing the most from a gallon of gas. It does it with a rare combination of driving fun, smart design and amenities that are hard to match in the segment.
The 2011 Aveo lineup includes the sedan and Aveo5, a sporty five-door hatchback. Their ‘tall car’ design delivers roomy interiors characterized by thoughtful details and refinement, as well as the ability to accommodate passengers more than 6 feet tall in each of the five seating positions. The cars also pack many standard and available features not found on many competitors, including:
• OnStar with Turn-by-Turn navigation standard on all models
• XM Satellite Radio available
• Standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags
• Auxiliary input jack included on all radios
• GM oil life monitoring system.
The oil life monitoring system employs a sophisticated algorithm to determine when it’s time for an oil change. This can reduce maintenance costs and the amount of waste oil through potentially fewer oil changes, when compared with conventional mileage-based oil-change intervals.
Changes for 2011 include standard cabin air filtration and two new exterior colors: Silver Ice Metallic and Summit White. For the 2012 model year, Chevrolet is gearing up to introduce an all-new Aveo.
Aveo sedan and Aveo5 are available in LS, 1LT and 2LT models. Each model offers many standard features such as standard side-impact air bags and a wide range of optional equipment.
Aveo LS standard features include:
• Power rack-and-pinion steering
• Variable intermittent windshield wipers
• Dual-stage frontal driver and passenger air bags and seat-mounted side-impact air bags
• Body-color outside rearview mirrors and door handles
• AM/FM stereo with auxiliary input jack (for an iPod or other device)
• Driver’s seat with fold-down armrest, manual height adjuster and manual lumbar adjuster
• Fully reclining front seats
• 60/40 split-folding rear seats with height-adjustable head restraints for outboard passengers
• Tilt steering wheel
• Front head restraints with convenience hooks
• Rear window defogger
• Sunglass holder
• Driver and front passenger seatback map pockets
• Interior fuel door and trunk releases.
Aveo sedan powertrain, chassis and suspension options include an Aisin four-speed automatic transmission with Hold Control Mode that gives the driver the ability to manually shift gears, and four-channel anti-lock brakes (ABS) with electronic brake force distribution. Additional LS options include:
• Engine oil pan heater for easier starting in extreme-cold climates
• Provisions for dealer-installed air conditioning system.
The uplevel Aveo 1LT offers the standard features on the LS model, as well as the following:
• Air conditioning
• AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3 player and six-speaker premium sound system
• Floor mats.
Aveo 1LT options include the four-speed automatic transmission, ABS, XM Satellite Radio, a trunk-mounted rear spoiler with CHMSL and a power and convenience package that includes power windows, locks, remote keyless entry, alarm system and cruise control.
The 2LT includes the standard equipment of the 1LT model, and adds key comfort and convenience features, including:
• Heated power outside rearview mirrors
• Power windows, locks, remote keyless entry, and alarm system
• Cruise control
• Deluxe cloth seat fabric
• Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
• XM Satellite Radio.
Other 2LT standard equipment includes 15-inch wheels, fog lamps, and, on the Aveo sedan, chrome exterior door handles. 2LT options include the four-speed automatic transmission, leatherette seating (including a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob), ABS, rear spoiler and a premium power sunroof.
The Aveo5 offers the same standard equipment and options as the sedan, with the following differences:
• Aveo5 has a standard rear wiper/washer
• Aveo5 offers standard 60/40 flip-and-fold seats; Aveo sedan 60/40 seats fold, but do not flip
• Aveo sedan has standard inside trunk release.
Theater-style rear seating provides a commanding view for all passengers. A fully reclining front passenger seat and a 60/40-split folding rear seat expand Aveo sedan’s interior cargo capacity, enabling long items, such as skis, to be carried between the trunk and passenger compartment. The trunk offers 12.4 cubic feet (350 L) of storage space. The spacious Aveo5 hatchback offers up to 37.2 cubic feet (1,053 L) of cargo space with the rear seats folded.
All models use a MacPherson strut front suspension with coil springs and stabilizer bar, and an independent, torsion beam axle-mount compound link-type rear suspension with gas-charged shocks. Power-assisted, variable-rate rack-and-pinion steering is standard. The steering gear is mounted on the front suspension cross member for precise action and stability.
Power-assisted front disc and rear drum brakes are standard; a four-channel ABS system is available. The four-sensor system – one at each wheel – incorporates electronic brake force distribution, which balances braking performance based on such factors as road conditions and the weight of passengers and/or cargo.
Fifteen-inch, five-spoke aluminum wheels are standard on Aveo sedan LT and available on LS (including Aveo5). Fourteen-inch steel wheels with a bolt-on wheel cover are standard on LS, while 15-inch wheels and wheel covers are standard on 2LT models.
The Ecotec 1.6L powers the Aveo lineup and it features variable valve timing for optimal power and fuel efficiency. It is rated at 108 horsepower (80.5 kW) and 104 lb.-ft. of torque (143 Nm). Technologies such as electronic throttle control and an electrically controlled thermostat to help maximize performance and efficiency across the rpm range. It also features an integrated oil cooler with piston spray nozzles.
The engine also has long-life and environmentally friendly features, including a timing belt designed to last 100,000 miles and replaceable cartridge-type oil filter rather than a conventional, spin-on metal can filter.
A smooth-shifting, five-speed manual transmission is standard on all models and an Aisin four-speed automatic transmission is available. It features a segment-exclusive Hold Control Mode that helps reduce wheel spin and traction loss on slick roads by allowing the driver to select and hold a higher gear, reducing torque to the wheels. It enables sportier driving operation by allowing the driver to control shift points similar to manual transmission operation.
Aveo meets the ULEV II emissions standard, which – along with its outstanding fuel economy – makes it one of the cleanest, most economical vehicles available in North America.
Pictures, Images, Photos, Pics, taken from Chevrolet Press Release.